Tac Med LEFR (Law Enforcement First Responder)
TACTICAL MEDICINE (LAW ENFORCEMENT ONLY)
LAW ENFORCEMENT FIRST RESPONDER (LEFR)
The Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) Committee of the National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT), in cooperation with the Denver Health and Hospital Authority Paramedics and the Denver Police Department Metro SWAT, has developed the Law Enforcement and First Response Tactical Casualty Care (LEFR-TCC) Course. This one-day program teaches public safety responders (Police Officers, Firefighters, Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs) and other First Responders) the basic medical care interventions that will help save an injured responder¹s life until EMS responders can safely enter a tactical scene. It combines the principles of PHTLS and TCCC, and meets the recommendations of the Hartford Consensus Document as well as TECC guidelines.
The approach is divided into phases, depending upon the tactical situation. The course combines didactic lecture with practical, hands-on experience. The student will learn life-saving medical techniques including bleeding control with a tourniquet, bleeding control with gauze packs or topical hemostatic agents, and opening an airway to allow a casualty to breathe.
Upon completion of the course participants will:
- Understand the rationale for immediate steps for hemorrhage control (including external hemorrhage control, direct pressure and wound packing, early use of tourniquet for severe hemorrhage, internal hemorrhage control by rapid evacuation, and transportation to major hospital/trauma center
- Demonstrate the appropriate application of a tourniquet to the arm and leg.
- Describe the progressive strategy for controlling hemorrhage
- Describe appropriate airway control techniques and devices
- Demonstrate the correct application of a topical hemostatic dressing (combat gauze)
- Recognize the tactically relevant indicators of shock
COURSE FEE INCLUDES:
- The course textbook, Law Enforcement Responder (ISBN-13: 978-0-7637-8149-1), a $50 value!
- QuickClot Combat Gauze Online Training supplement
- Equipment and materials.