The course is divided into phases, depending upon the tactical situation. The course combines didactic lecture with practical, hands-on experience. The student will learn life-saving medical techniques including bleeding control with a tourniquet, bleeding control with gauze packs or topical hemostatic agents, and opening an airway to allow a casualty to breathe.
Upon completion of the course participants will:
- Understand the rationale for immediate steps for hemorrhage control (including external hemorrhage control, direct pressure and wound packing, early use of tourniquet for severe hemorrhage, internal hemorrhage control by rapid evacuation, and transportation to major hospital/trauma center
- Demonstrate the appropriate application of a tourniquet to the arm and leg.
- Describe the progressive strategy for controlling hemorrhage
- Describe appropriate airway control techniques and devices
- Demonstrate the correct application of a topical hemostatic dressing (combat gauze)
- Recognize the tactically relevant indicators of shock